Welcome to our Simple, Sustainable & Fun Family Dinners series! At SHF, we know planning your family dinner menu for the week can be stressful and we want to help you with that process. Over the next 7 weeks we will be highlighting a Family Dinner that you can implement in your kitchen any night of the week that everyone in your family is sure to love!
For Part 2 of our series, we had to honor everyone’s favorite…Taco Tuesday! The beauty of Taco Tuesday is the versatility for so many different tastes. And we are not just talking about different flavors…but different preferences! If tacos aren’t on your regular routine for family dinners, they will be now!
Something for everyone…even your pickiest eater!
Got a vegetarian in the house? Plus a carnivore? Plus a vegan? It’s hard to accommodate everyone…but taco night fits the bill.
- Vegetarian options: Beans, tofu, soy taco meat; or get creative and use eggplant, jack fruit or acorn squash to fill up those shells!
- Vegan: same as vegetarian, but add in some cashew cheese or use a vegan sour cream.
- Carnivore: The meat options are endless….ground beef, shredded chicken, shredded pork, carnitas, carne asada…your meat lover will be happy!
Make it your way!
Taco Tuesday doesn’t have to be limited to just tacos. Same fillings, different modality! Here’s a list in case you need inspiration:
- Hard Shell Tacos
- Soft tacos
- Taco Salad
- Deconstructed Taco (all ingredients arranged on plate, but not put together!)
Taco night is always better when you dress it up with some interesting toppings. Here’s some you will want to throw on your shopping list if you don’t keep them at home regularly:
- Sliced Black Olives
- Fire Roasted Mild Green Chilis
- Red Taco Sauce
- Green Taco Sauce
- Salsa–original, mango or get spicy with habanero!
- Sour Cream
- Cholula (or any hot sauce)
- Shredded Mexican Style Cheese
- Shredded Pepper Jack Cheese
- Cotija Cheese
Don’t forget Your Veggies!
We all know the classics like lettuce and tomato, but what about adding cabbage, cucumbers, jalapenos, jicama or even shredded carrots? Whether you are making a traditional taco or a tostada, veggies can jazz up your ordinary dinner and make it SASSY and extraordinary!
If you are following Keto and you want to still enjoy taco night, don’t forget about the Keto Cheese Cups! Make these simple cheese cups to replace your hard shell/tortilla counterpart and your Keto lover is in Taco heaven.
There are so many ways to vary Taco Night, you can add this meal into your rotation weekly or bi-weekly and you will get the love from your family every time. Let us know YOUR favorite way to do Taco night!