Welcome to our Simple, Sustainable & Fun Family Dinners series! At SHF, we know planning your family dinner menu for the week can be stressful and we want to help you with that process. This is the 5th week in a 7 week series where we will be highlighting a Family Dinner that you can implement in your kitchen any night of the week that everyone in your family is sure to love!
Most of our Simple, Sustainable & Fun family dinners have been super flexible and great for families that include vegetarians and vegans. This week, however, we are biased toward our carnivore friends!
One of our favorite staples to get for dinner is rotisserie chicken. This is such a great option for In Demand Women because you can pick it up from the store on your way home from work or after picking up carpool and have dinner on the table almost instantly.
Let’s explore some options that work great with rotisserie chicken.
- Shred the chicken by hand or with a fork
- Mix shredded chicken with 1 can of mild green chilies, 1 cup of red or green enchilada sauce and 1/2 cup of shredded Mexican-style cheese
- Spoon ~1/3 cup of mixture into flour or corn tortilla and roll up
- Place as many rolled up tortillas as will fit into a 9 x 13 Pyrex baking dish (approx 10)
- Cover tortillas with 1 can of enchilada sauce and more cheese
- Bake in a 350°F oven for 30 minutes, or until cheese is bubbling
BBQ Pulled Chicken Sandwiches:
Shred the chicken by hand or with a fork and mix with your favorite BBQ sauce. Serve on Hawaiian dinner rolls with a sliced dill pickle and dinner is served.
Chicken Taco Salad:
Mix shredded chicken into a big salad with all your favorite veggies. Toss in some tortilla strips for added crunch. Use sour cream and salsa instead of dressing your dinner is on the table in minutes!
Chicken Salad Lettuce Wraps:
Mix shredded chicken with mayo, salt, pepper and a splash of lemon juice. Add in chopped celery, olives or even dried cranberries to vary the flavors. Scoop into large romaine lettuce leaves and serve.
The possibilities with rotisserie chicken are endless. You can mix it with pasta, add it to soup, serve it alongside waffles for a healthier version of chicken & waffles. It’s even good left over or served cold the next day!
What’s your favorite recipe that includes rotisserie chicken? Let us know!