So why would anyone want to drink something that looks like cut grass? And for that matter, why would you do this willingly and on a regular basis???
Two simple reasons:
Your health is THAT important
Sometimes taking the time to chew all that kale is just not going to happen!
But in all honesty, let’s talk about the nutritional value of our Power Greens Juice.
Leafy green veggies are loaded with the good stuff. For example, kale is one of the most nutrient dense foods out there and is packed with tons of vitamins such as C, A, K and B6 to name a few. And why is that important? Because it has antioxidants that protect against disease and aging and can reduce cholesterol and heart disease.
Celery is another popular green veggie that is widely known for helping with digestion and also has many anti-inflammatory properties that are beneficial for the digestive system. It is also rich in vitamins and a low glycemic index (meaning it won’t spike your blood sugar!).
The list goes on! And since you can adjust this recipe with the greens you have on hand, there are different benefits you will find with each new ingredient.
Bottom line is this: your mom was right when she said to eat your greens. But you can drink them and still get all the same benefits!
This is a super flexible recipe, but the primary idea is to keep it full of greens, low on fruit to reduce sugar.
This can easily be made in a high-power blender like a Vitamix, but you could do in a juicer too. The quantities are not exact because you can fill up your blender based on what size you have, so scale accordingly!
- 1 c. Water
- 4-6 celery stalks
- 1 large handful kale or spinach (or super greens mix)
- 2 small cucumbers
- 1 handful broccoli florets
- 1-2 2” turmeric roots (I don’t peel)
- 2” ginger root (peeled; can use less if you are sensitive to ginger/spicy)
- 1 lemon, peeled cut in 1/2
- 6 green grapes
- Dash of cayenne pepper (to taste, can be omitted)
- Blend until all smooth! Strain out pulp (I use a mesh strainer and a spatula to get as much juice out and remove pulp)
- Blend strained juice with ice to make cold OR refrigerate and drink later!